Wednesday 13 November 2013

Week 8 (PS Lvl 5) How to: Copyright your own work

Following the lecture at uni- hearing the stories about copyright issues for some designers and after my own research around the subject, I will definitely be copyrighting all of my own designs. I thought I'd share some of the ways we have been taught to do this at uni and after a little internet research of my own...

1. Update your blog regularly - writing about the designs your currently creating but most importantly posting images of your work, will keep a record of dates when work is created, and will be a source of evidence if needs be.  

2. Images posted on Instagram, Facebook pages etc will work in the same way as dates are recorded!

3.  Up date your visual log everytime you finish a piece of work. This will help to record dates and details about the design. I think this is a useful idea anyway for keeping track of all the work you've made, if it has been sold and how much for etc.

4. Photograph your work and print, or upload the photos to a blank disc. 
Write the copyright symbol, your name and date on the back. 
Place in an envelope and post back to yourself. 
Keep the seal intact- if there is an issue in the future, open in the presence of a solicitor and the fact it is in a sealed envelope with the date stamped on it will provide enough evidence. 
(I think this is probably the best way out of the lot to prove the work was created when you say it was as dates can definitely be proved)

No comments:

Post a Comment