Friday 31 August 2012

Journeys in beadwork


I recently visited the Shipley Art Gallery in Gateshead to see an exhibition called ‘Journeys in Beadwork’. The exhibition had two parts to it, the first being ‘Culture and tradition in the Eastern Cape’ which explores the history of the beadwork of the Mfengu people in South Africa. The african tribe have beaded collars, ties, necklaces, tobacco bags and other clothing and accessories for generations by hand.
Although, I enjoyed the traditional beadwork, I have to say my favourite part was the second section of the exhibition ‘Dialogues in Contemporary Style’, which featured a display of contemporary fashion beadwork, inspired by the traditional African craft. There were a few designers that caught my eye in this exhibition, one of which was Fabienne Morel who is behind the label ‘BrokenFab’. Her work displayed was called Disco Beading, which is a very appropriate description for her cool, edgy handmade beaded jewellery.
BrokenFab

Another designer I loved was Lisa Folawiyo and her label ‘Jewel by Lisa’. The dress on display was made with beads, sequins and crystals, and really stood out to me.

Jewel by Lisa
 
I found the exhibition very interesting as a whole. I’m already a fan of tribal patterns so I really enjoyed the exhibition and it has inspired me to experiment with beading in my work in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment