Tuesday 1 May 2012

Constructed Textiles


For one of the previous modules this year, I had to start by researching a current trend, for which I chose traveller. I looked at catwalk designers who were inspired by the trend, and from looking at the catwalk looks and researching the traveller trend in more depth, and also thinking about what I thought traveller might mean, I took my research further by looking at Africa and the clothing they wear. When starting my research I looked at a collection by designer Paul Smith because he had tribal inspiration and I enjoyed the colours he had used and the unique necklaces. I also admired the way he had designed his looks which have layers of fabric wrapped over each other, which reminded me of African clothing so I thought this would be an appropriate starting point for my research.
Paul Smith Spring/Summer 2010

Paul Smith Spring/Summer 2010

For this brief, we explored a number of textile techniques through workshops, some of which I have done before and some which were completely new to me but I really enjoyed learning new skills and developing my old ones.  I found that I particularly liked reverse applique and I tried knitting for the first time.  Using the techniques I learnt and my research as a source of inspiration for theme, colour and fabric, I had to construct a garment front.

Final Garment front design – knitted fabric, braided straps, applique, reverse applique and a ruffle

close up

close up

close up


No comments:

Post a Comment